Sunday, May 15, 2011

I Love it When My Kids Have Nightmares

When MB was born, we found that we were incredibly lazy. We put two changing tables in, so we didn't have to trudge upstairs to change diapers. I nursed. Not because it was good for the kid, but because I was too lazy to make bottles. I had seen it done: Get up, go downstairs, heat water, pour into bottle, mix creepy powder stuff, shake, get kid, insert bottle, hold kid, cram bottle, blah blah blah. So, I grabbed the kid and shoved a boob near him, and went back to sleep. I figured it was survival of the fittest-find the boob or starve. Your choice. 
Anyways, I also hated getting up for each feeding, grabbing the kid out of the crib, and rocking him, then putting him back, all the while keeping him asleep. So, we co-slept. We snuggled all night, to the utter dismay of my back. We did this until shortly after Princess came along, we moved when she was about 6 months old. We had to downsize to a Queen bed, and there just wasn't room for 4. I missed MB's snuggles, but he would come visit once in a while.
Now that he is 12, I rarely see him in the middle of the night, unless it is to take away the cell phone he's still texting on.
Until the other night. It was 4:32 am. I felt a shoulder poke. I look over, and there he is. He says, "I had a bad dream". I opened the covers. He looked, and said, "can I have the middle?"  Ahhh, I got my baby back.

About 2 hours later, Princess, who visits each morning at 6:30 for 30 minutes of snuggles, arrives at my side. 
"What is HE doing here?"

I smiled, and let her crawl in between Monkey and me.

Pure bliss.

Maybe there's some Stephen King on tonight...

1 comment: